Thursday, December 10, 2009

Color Inspiration: 101





It's Thursday and that means it's time for the weekly Color Inspiration.

Thank you for all your kind words on last week's first Color Inspiration post. I'm glad you liked it!!!

I've been busily working on my holiday cards. When I started thinking about this week's color combination I knew I wanted to keep away from traditional holiday card colors.

Well, my Occasions Mini catalog pre-order arrived the other day. As I was putting together one of my stamp sets, I was inspired by the colors of the animals in the stamp set.

This week's colors are Certainly Celery, Really Rust, Barely Banana and Chocolate Chip.

I chose to make an any occasion card for a child. I used a brand new stamp set called Fox and Friends. These images are so adorable.



This is also my first stamp set using Stampin' Up's new Clear Mount option. The images are still the fabulous red rubber we are all know and love. The difference is how they are mounted. Rather than being permanently mounted on a wood block, the Clear Mount stamps have a cling back on them that you place on an clear acrylic block when you are ready to stamp. Clean them, peel them off the block, put back in the stamp case (which looks like a DVD case).

The owl is inked with Chocolate Chip ink. The turtle was inked with my Certainly Celery and Always Artichoke markers. The lion was also colored with markers (More Mustard and Really Rust). The monkey was inked with Chocolate Chip ink. I then colored in his belly with a Creamy Caramel marker.

The images can easily be punched with the 1 3/8" square punch. I sponged the edges of each square with my beloved Close to Cocoa ink. Seriously, if you don't sponge with this color, you need to try it!!!!

The squares are matted on a 3 1/4" x 3 1/4" piece of Chocolate Chip cardstock. This is then matted on a 3 3/8" x 3 3/8" piece of Really Rust cardstock. In the center of the focal image I added a 3/4" Barely Banana circle with a Certainly Celery button in the middle (note how I used a sliver of Really Rust cardstock as the "thread").

The Barely Banana layer was texturized with my Perfect Details Texturz Plate and the Big Shot. I also lightly sponged this layer with Close to Cocoa ink. I wrapped a length of Chocolate Chip wide grosgrain ribbon and tied it into a classic knot. This is then glued to the Certainly Celery base card.

Would you like to play our Color Challenge? If you make something, please leave a link to your project in the comment section for this post.

Until next time....Happy Stamping everyone!!


Card Recipe
stamps: Fox & Friends
paper: Certainly Celery, Barely Banana, Really Rust, Whisper White, Chocolate Chip
ink: Chocolate Chip, Close to Cocoa
accessories: Stampin' Write Markers, Fresh Favorites buttons, 3/4" circle punch, 1 3/8" square punch, Perfect Details Texturz Plate, Big Shot, sponges, Chocolate Chip wide grosgrain ribbon

5 comments:

  1. Super cute!!! Love how you colored these images. Great color combo. Hopefully I'll find time to play.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is adorable! Great job with the color challenge Patti!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super cute card - but you are NOT enabling me to buy this stamp set!! Must Resist, must resist!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here is mine, I combined it with what I thought was this week's sketch, little late I guess.

    http://technostamper.blogspot.com/2009/12/bloggers-challenge-with-dual-411-combo.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just posted my color challenge idea hope you like, please leave a comment. http://stampinwithinkonmyfingers.blogspot.com/2009/12/this-card-is-for-color-challenge-with.html#comments

    ReplyDelete