Thursday, February 17, 2011

Technique Thursday - Embossed Background

It's time for another installment of Technique Thursday, and this week I've got a very easy technique, sure to give a simple card a bit of a "wow" factor! I don't know about you, but I find it hard to believe we ever lived without the Big Shot, and embossing folders!! Today I'm going to show you how you can add dimension to your cards with any punches and Big Shot dies you've got on hand, you're not limited to what folders you've got!

Here are the two cards I came up with:How do you like the backgrounds for these two cards? This was so simple, this is how I did it:

First, punch the shapes you'd like embossed into your background. For the top card I used the Island Floral die, for the cupcake card I used the cupcake punch.

**Tip - use something a little thicker than card stock to punch your shapes. I used the backing of a package of dsp. The thicker the material you use for your punched shapes, the greater impression they will make in your card stock.

Next, arrange them on your card stock or dsp as desired. Use Dotto (temporary adhesive) to hold them in place.Once you've got them arranged, flip this piece of paper over, so that the punched shapes are against your cutting plate, like this:

Next add the rest of your "sandwich", which will be the Silicone Rubber pad, and the Texturz Impressions Pad on top.

Run this through the Big Shot, and when it comes out, peel off the punched shapes that were temporarily adhered to the dsp or card stock. Voila! You're read to use your embossed paper on a project!

If you'd like to give this technique a try, we'd love to see what you come up with! Just link your creation below:

8 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! This is SO awesome Kerin! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is very cool, will have to try it out. Thanks for sharing Kerin,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kerin!
    For those of us in Australia who don't have the Silicone Rubber Pad ... or the Textured Impressions Pad ... do you have any suggestions for another sandwich??? Hugs xxaxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. AWESOME Technique! I plan to teach this at my upcoming workshop! Just designed a card based on your fantastic tutorial... will link here as soon as I'm done playing. Thanks so much, love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a fun technique...must remember to show my class! Great examples, Kerin!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh that I were so clever and talented! Thanks for sharing this easy and fun technique, Kerin! I will be using it in one of my own techniques classes and will give full credit.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just posted a card using that technique, but the picture does not do it justice. If you look carefully you might see the shape of a butterfly or a flower.

    ReplyDelete
  8. To replace a silicone rubber pad a mouse pad of similar size might work.

    ReplyDelete