Friday, May 29, 2009

Our FIRST Sketch Challenge and some BIG NEWS!

Sorry for the technical difficulties! Mr. Linky is back. :)

Isn't it a beautiful day for a sketch challenge? On behalf of our designing operators, let me welcome you to the Stamping411 Blog!

I know I speak for the entire group when I say that we're thrilled that you decided to check out our new space, and encourage you to play along. If you wish to participate in this challenge, please submit a link to your post on splitcoaststampers.com or your blog. Please link directly to your post, and not just to your blog, so that in a few days, people will easily be able to find your submissions.

This blog will focus on stamping basics for new and occasional stampers, but will feature tutorials, videos and weekly sketch challenges on Saturday mornings for everyone! I encourage you to visit the blog on a regular basis for fabulous inspiration and stamping advice. And if you're having a stamping 911, you can call on us for the 411, just email theoperators@e-selene.com. If your question is for a particular designer on our panel, please just list that in your subject line.

So here's some big news! To celebrate, just for creating a card with this sketch and posting it, you could win some blog candy! We will be giving away a level 3 hostess set from the Stampin' Up! Idea Book and Catalog Goody-Goody Gumdrops. Good Luck to All!!

For anyone that has never done a sketch challenge, they are done mainly for your inspiration. To make it easier for you to come up with a card, without stress. If you have never cut your own paper, the idea of cutting can be a stressful proposition.

I'm going to give you potential measurements for this layout. Please note, some of our design team members have taken liberties and changed up the sketch. We encourage you to do the same. These guidelines are to help someone who might be new start with cutting paper. To keep this for people who really need it, I'm going to put these measurements at the bottom of the post.

For now, grab some stamps and play along with the operators! Here are what our designing operators have come up with for this week. Here are some samples for you to be inspired by, click on any of the samples to be directed to that operator's personal blog.


Robin Merriman (had so much fun, she did two cards)


Patti Chesky



Saturday Sketch Challenge Participants
1. Tracy
2. Germaine Ferrao
3. Cindy Rio
4. Janice Webb (Aloha Jan)
5. SHERRI
6. robynann
7. Barbara Joyce
8. Monika
9. Roxie Nitti
10. Elaine Wilson
11. Joan Ottevanger
12. Tami Black
13. Erna Logtenberg
14. Krista Drissen
15. Jenn D
16. Annemiek
17. C@ro
18. Lisa Martz
19. Tiffany Bauer
20. Amy Schultz
21. Susan Shields

Powered by... Mister Linky's Magical Widgets.


This weeks sketch challenge is closed for entries. Check back on Saturday morning for sketch number 2!

To make a basic card, take a regular "computer sized" 8 1/2" x 11" piece of paper and cut it in half. I like to score it in half going in the opposite direction. So if you cut at 5.5" score at 4.25".

For the next layer "white in the sketch", try using another regular sized piece of card stock and cut it in half at 4 1/4" You will be able to cut six pieces out of one sheet down to 3 1/4" x 4 1/4".

Now the 3rd "green" layer could be designer series paper (DSP). if you cut your 12 x 12" card stock down to 3" x 4" you can get 12 pieces out of one sheet of DSP.

For the 4th and 5th layers, you would want to base the size on your image. I like to matte my images with a piece of card stock that is a 1/4" larger when cutting on two sides. Then you can assemble and enjoy your card!

If this all seems as clear a mud, have no fear. As time moves forward, we will have graphics and some basic cards for your viewing that will help you.

19 comments:

  1. Hi everyone. I am already a subscriber to both Gretchen's and Connie's blogs. I read about this blog from Lee on Beate's yahoo group and just had to check it out. Hope your adventure is very successful. I will be checking back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi everyone. I have added myself to followers and will place your banner on my blog too. Looks like lots of fun here and what a great design team.

    ReplyDelete
  3. well done ladies....looks great and I will definitely be keeping my eye on the happenings here. I will also add a link to my blog.
    cheers, Maggie in Australia (UDI)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm VERY happy to find another challenge blog! Without them I don't know that I would ever create anything! LOL What a talented group of ladies you have assembled count me in for sure! Are you going to use Mr. Linky for the creations people submit, it's a great(and easy) way to get a look at everything everyone has made.
    Thanks. Diane McCornack
    LNS Group
    www.stampinpuppies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your new blog. I also LOVE the purpose behind it. Thank you for all your daily inspiration and motivation! You all ROCK! Sherrill Graff

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Lady's, Love your new blog. It's nice that your focus is on getting back to basics. Your new blog is a breath of fresh air. Good luck with your new endever! Paula Bowers

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just wondering if you will be using "Mr. Linky"?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would love to subscribe to this blog, could you add a subscription button, pretty please??
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow, talk about an elite team! I am very familiar with the work of Connie, Lee and Gretchen but will enjoy seeing the other talented artists on this group! Hopefully I will have time to occasionally participate in the challenges, too! Jan Hoyt
    inkerzaway.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. You ladies do beautiful work. Thank you so much for sharing your tutorials.
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love all your work and am looking forward to following this blog too. I was able to create a card for your first sketch challenge (yippee) It can be viewed here http://tracysstamptherapy.blogspot.com/2009/05/stamping-411-sketch-challenge.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for having such a basic site. I know I have lots of customers that are beginners. This will really help me remember the basics.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great idea. I have been stamping for a while now, but I dragged my sister into this great hobby and she is pretty much a newbie, but learning quickly. I will forward this link to her.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great cards ladies, I love them all!!! Wonderful sketch as well

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is a great idea, and the first sketch is wonderful. I was able to make a nice card in record time with your very detailed measurements and directions. Thanks so much, and please keep 'em coming--new sketches, new techniques. Fun!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm playing - just finished my card, my blog post and added it on here.
    Monika
    monikastamp.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Good luck on your new venture! This is the first time I have actually took the time to do a challenge! Although I am a demonstrator and can figure out cards, this was so much faster to do this with the measurements all done for you. I think you should do this with all the sketches and a lot more people will enter I think. We are all very busy these days and anything that can save time helps! Thank you again for the opportunity to win! http://elainemwilson.blogspot.com/2009/05/elegant-thank-you.html

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a great idea! Back to basics! I need to add a link to your blog. I have several new customers and they would love this. Thanks for the work on the blog. I didn't see the date for the blog candy post.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What an awesome idea for a new blog!!! AND I just love a challenge. Mine is up on my blog!!

    ReplyDelete