Thursday, March 17, 2011

Technique Thursday - Inlaid Embossing

Welcome to the latest edition of Technique Thursday! You've probably seen this technique around, I have seen it everywhere lately, but I'd just never tried it until recently. It's called inlaid embossing, and it's basically adhering shapes to your card stock before embossing it with your Big Shot.

One of the advantages to inlaid embossing is being able to create your own "dsp" out of punched shapes of your choice :)

Here are the quick and easy instructions if you'd like to give it a try!

1. Cut various shapes either with a Big Shot die or punch. For my sample I used the Fun Flowers die with Whisper White card stock, and just sponged the edges in various colors such as Pretty in Pink, Certainly Celery, Daffodil Delight, Bashful Blue, Perfect Plum & Peach Parfait.

2. Adhere the shapes to your base card stock:

I let my shapes overlap the edges, then trimmed them off before embossing.

2. Insert your card stock into the embossing folder of your choice and run it through the Big Shot, here's what it will look like when it comes out:
3. Adhere to your card base and embellish...done!

We'd love to see what you come up with using this fun technique! Here's how to play along:
  1. Make a card
  2. Post it online somewhere to your blog or other online forum
  3. Post a link to the free linky tool below (please point the link to your post and NOT just your blog)

7 comments:

  1. I love this technique. I am sure I will use it over and over,.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so beautiful! I love this tech, but the hint of pastel on the edges of the flowers!! Stunning, Elegant, Exquisite, Amazing....

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so neat! I saw it on a card somewhere this week and loved it! Definitely going to try!!

    http://debbiesdashofthisandthat.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that makes a huge difference in the before the emboss and after. Very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have done the inlaid embossing...do you glue down the pieces really well.I did a quilted effect and some of the pieces started to come up a bit after embossing.just was wondering how well you glue yours down. Thanks,Cookie
    www.longaberger.com/cookiesheldon

    ReplyDelete
  6. Regarding Cookie's comment above, I didn't do anything extra in the way of gluing my pieces down, I just used snail.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The white on white is fantastic here with just a touch of color. I will have to CASE you for sure.

    ReplyDelete